Elf

Search this blog

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Stereotypical

“Oh, she’s fat she doesn’t need to be eating pizza””Oh, she is pregnant she looks about 15. You know she must of came from a broken household””Oh, he is gay, ewwww he better not touch me, he probably has aids”…… and the list goes on and on.
                            


Video Inspiration: The Glee Project- Mad World

Yesterday, I made a thread at the “Coffee Shop” and I was just simply asking about experiences with stereotypical issues. It was amazing the feedback that I was getting and the encouragement that other bloggers were giving and relating to being stereotyped. EVERYONE no matter who you are has been stereotyped at one point of time or another. Whether it was knowingly or not!
I was pregnant at the age of 16. I went through a point where I felt so ashamed of myself. The stares I would get from random people. Some people where even bold enough to ask me how old was I and did I think about getting pregnant when I was having sex (and this was just a random person from off the street.) Then one day I just got tired of it and I just had to say this is my life and I know I may have not done right in my past but I need to stand up and make the best of it. I had to stop beating myself up over the situation or I wouldn’t be where I am today.
 I met a lot of wonderful people on that thread and hearing their experiences really just makes me want to do something about it. Some had mental illnesses, some were gay, some were stereotyped by size, color, and gender. It’s just not right! A lot of people get preconceived notions and just miss out on some really great people. All of the people that posted on my thread were some of the most interesting and amazing people I have met in a while. Their courage was unbelievable!
All I’m saying is that you put your guards up too fast you might miss out on some really great people. I understand that people group themselves with people that have similarities and that’s where they feel most comfortable. It’s called conformity. We tend to have a strong need to conform to groups because if we step out of our zone we are in risks of social rejection. So I understand where “stereotyping” comes from and I understand that a lot of people do it unknowingly. I’m just saying I think it’s something that people need to work on. 


2 comments:

  1. I think that was well said. I admittedly overweight and can be shy, so strangers assume that I have no brains, no social life and no boyfriend. I feel as though I have to point out my qualifications,and my relatioship to people. But I am overcoming it!
    There are also many people who are they way they are due to medical issues or previous incidents, which nobody seems to think about.

    The part about you getting stigma for being pregnant at sixteen - the legal age is sixteen in the UK (are you in the UK), so why should anyone be so discrimative? I think that as long as a person takes responsibility for their actions, and are able to deal will the consequences, then they should be left alone to enjoy their lives :)

    Sorry if i rambled a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you and I love hearing about other's that I can relate to. So your rambling is perfectly fine. I live in the United States and the legal age here is 18 but I am a firm believer of age is just a number! I took full responsibility when I became pregnant and I finished highschool and got married at 18 and still doing good and taking care of my family!
    But back to you that is great that you are overcoming your struggles and I can relate...I'm shy too :)
    And last thing if you have time go check out my other post "accepting me for who i am"...I think its something you would really enjoy!

    ReplyDelete